Lifestyle

Is Social Media sabotaging real communication?

Inarguably, Social Media was a revolutionary concept that has convincingly broken down the barriers of time and space, as is with traditional communication. It has created an enabling environment for borderless communication within a fraction of a micro-second. Moreover, humans can communicate at any time of the day as long as they are connected to the internet. According to Vuleta, in 2019, Facebook recorded 1 million logins, Google processed over 3million queries while Youtube recorded over 4 million videos viewed every second. To break this down further, Vuleta approximates the digital universe to consist of over 40 zettabytes of data. Social media is sabotaging real communication; it is a question of communication superficiality against its authenticity.

Also Read

Cal Cunningham Sexting Saga!

Social media has, ironically, birthed a society that is anti-social. It has turned the real communication into a surrogate. The space for authentic connection in communication from one to another has dwindled over time. The human contact that gives way for accurate and genuine communication has been replaced with how individuals would want to be perceived by those around them. Further, that has led to a lot of misrepresentation of truths as should be. Social media, in its creation, has left out the fundamentals of communication. It has eased the means of communication at the expense of communication skills that are vital to understanding the messages being the words.

According to Tardanico, human things connect fundamentally with authentic communication. Further, they explain that over 90% of communication is based on nonverbal body language. Only 7% of communication is based on verbal or written communication. That supports the theory that social media sabotages real communication in various ways. Social Media is primarily based on texting, sharing videos, and images. With this revolutionary concept, over 90% of the communication context is taken away. That leaves humans to utilize the remaining 10% to create relationships. And further, provide solutions to problems, and connect, which ends up in a lot of fakenesses.

Tardanico in her article cites a scenario of a parent who was chatting with her daughter. According to what the daughter was texting, she was perfectly fine. Moreover, she enquired from her daughter how school was, and everything and her replies were everything was okay. She even used emoticons of big heart and smiles. However, on that night, the daughter almost committed suicide. It turned out that she was in her hostel all depressed. This illustration paints a perfect picture of the communication disruption that social media has spruced up and immensely dented real communication. Had the two being in physical contact, the mother could have read the non-verbal cues of the daughter and gather that she was not alright.

Probably if the communication was not on social media, the daughter would have lacked a mask to hide her genuine feelings and thoughts to the mother. If they chose, for instance, to have a call, the mother would probably have gotten a better glimpse of the daughter’s situation. Social media has not only affected communication in social settings but also in workplaces. The availability of emails has offered instant media to solve problems within the organization while slowly but gradually breaking the touch between the individuals. Agreeably, engaging in the chaos that social media is, is a personal choice. However, it will be practically impossible to keep away from media where over ninety percent of the world population will be thriving.

Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *